After staring at me untouched for way too long, I decided to finish my bonnet this Saturday. I only had scraps left over from cutting out the silk exterior fabric, so I had to piece together strips for the bonnet ties, which I then hand felled. The ties are attached under the last row of trim on the crown, which seems to be a pretty standard practice of the time. I had some bias cut strips of white silk that I pieced together and then pinked the edges. My first version used a gathering stitch, but it was too wild. My second attempt was pleated, sewn, and then trimmed down further and then applied to the brim. Many of the original fashion plates I referenced had some sort of trim on the brim, either lace or other detail, and adding some white really brightens up the entire hat. I added a little bow to the back, because a hat can never have too many bows!
|Inspiration 1814 fashion plate|
|Regency bonnet front view|
|Regency bonnet 3/4 view, ties attached under trim.|
|Regency bonnet brim view|